Sunday, January 22, 2012

Good-Bye "Pyer"

Audrey has had a pacifier (more recently known as "Pyer") since day one in the hospital. She had it only for sleeping and we kept it in her bed 98% of the time. I have no regrets about it. It totally worked for us and for her and when it came down to time to say good-bye, Jason & I were probably quite a bit more attached to that thing than she was. But, I always said..."Only until she's 2." Well, then, after Christmas.
So, once she turned 2...it seemed like the Pyer became a battle. She's only allowed to have it in bed? Well, guess what? She's tired and going to go "lay down" only an hour after getting up. Or she's throwing a screaming fit because she has to leave it. So, we knew it was time. And, man, were we nervous! The day came 2 weeks ago. We were completely prepared for nights of screaming. I had been telling Audrey that when she took the Pyer out of her bed, it could break and would be broken someday. So, that's exactly what happened. One day, close to bedtime, she went and dug it up, and what do you know...half of the tip was gone! She brought it to me...
"Mommy, I broke it." she said.
"Oh, No!" I replied 
"But, that's all right, you're big now, you don't need it anymore." 
"What should we do about it."
"I throw it in the trash?"
!!!!!!! "Uh, OK!"
And that was it!!! She checked it out a couple of times and told us that it was broken the next day, but not one tear, not one fit, nothing!! I shed more tears over it than she did!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Good story, and good pic to go with it! Her super-smile is so fun.